Gianni Onorato was instrumental in the growth of Costa and will be sorely missed by the Italian Cruise Line that are currently experiencing a period of significant change.
Gianni Onorato, President of Costa Crociere S.p.A., has recently announced he is leaving the Company fore a new career direction.
Michael Thamm will be taking over Gianni Onorato’s functions.
Gianni Onorato joined Costa Cruises back in 1986 as an employee of the hotel activity sector before becoming Cruise Product Director. Later appointed to the position of Vice President Cruise Operations, he has held the position of President since 2004.
The Chief Executive Officer of Costa Crociere S.p.A., Michael Thamm, commented: "I regret Gianni’s decision. He has played an important role in the development and growth of Costa Crociere."
In an official statement, Gianni Onorato said "I have spent 27 years full of great challenges that I have enjoyed with passion and dedication. Over the years I feel like I have given a lot but also received a great deal both on a personal and a professional level. My deepest thanks to shareholders, Pier Luigi Foschi, Michael Thamm, my closest staff and all Costa employees for being such unforgettable companions on this journey."
Rumors around the Shipping community suggest that Mr Onorato will be moving to MSC, however these claims have not been substantiated.
