Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines has promoted its popular Executive Chef, Dirk Helsig, to the position of Corporate Executive Chef across the Fred. Olsen fleet. Sara Sipek has assumed the role of Executive Chef aboard Balmoral in Dirk’s place.
Born and brought up in Germany, Dirk Helsig trained as a Chef and worked in several well-known restaurants, including The Ivy, before deciding to start his career at sea. He joined Fred. Olsen in 2005, and has worked on all the ships in the fleet.
In his new role as Fred. Olsen’s Corporate Executive Chef, Dirk heads up a team of Executive Chefs and 300 galley staff across the fleet. Dirk is justifiably proud of the way his Chefs, from all over the world, work together as a unified team.
Dirk said:
“Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is ideal for me because I prefer working on smaller ships. In my opinion, they are more friendly and intimate, and I also like the fact that we cruise in and out of a wide range of UK ports and have mostly British guests.
“I will be looking into every aspect of the food and beverage offering on board our ships, and one of the exciting challenges is to continue to serve the high-quality food that our guests have come to expect from us, whilst finding even more ways to whet their appetites with innovative and delicious dishes.”
Briton Sara Sipek has been working on American cruise ships for the past 22 years, but is enjoying going back to the British traditional style of cooking.
Sara said:
“I believe in the Fred. Olsen product of family-style cruise ships, where you always feel at home and welcome. As most of our guests are British, the main challenge is to serve food very hot, the way the British, including myself, like it.
“I could not provide high-class food without my team here on Balmoral. I like the fact that we serve unpretentious food; what you see on the menu is what you get, without fancy extras. We also take the time to cater for all dietary needs, and guests with special requirements get to eat varied menus the same as any other guest, so that they do not feel different in any way.”
Born and brought up in Germany, Dirk Helsig trained as a Chef and worked in several well-known restaurants, including The Ivy, before deciding to start his career at sea. He joined Fred. Olsen in 2005, and has worked on all the ships in the fleet.
In his new role as Fred. Olsen’s Corporate Executive Chef, Dirk heads up a team of Executive Chefs and 300 galley staff across the fleet. Dirk is justifiably proud of the way his Chefs, from all over the world, work together as a unified team.
Dirk said:
“Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is ideal for me because I prefer working on smaller ships. In my opinion, they are more friendly and intimate, and I also like the fact that we cruise in and out of a wide range of UK ports and have mostly British guests.
“I will be looking into every aspect of the food and beverage offering on board our ships, and one of the exciting challenges is to continue to serve the high-quality food that our guests have come to expect from us, whilst finding even more ways to whet their appetites with innovative and delicious dishes.”
Briton Sara Sipek has been working on American cruise ships for the past 22 years, but is enjoying going back to the British traditional style of cooking.
Sara said:
“I believe in the Fred. Olsen product of family-style cruise ships, where you always feel at home and welcome. As most of our guests are British, the main challenge is to serve food very hot, the way the British, including myself, like it.
“I could not provide high-class food without my team here on Balmoral. I like the fact that we serve unpretentious food; what you see on the menu is what you get, without fancy extras. We also take the time to cater for all dietary needs, and guests with special requirements get to eat varied menus the same as any other guest, so that they do not feel different in any way.”
Source: fredolsencruises.com
